Media Man News

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sex sells well beyond SI Swimsuit Issue; Oprah lands Vick interview

Game On! bloggers Tom Weir and Reid Cherner are just glad to be off the bubble and now looked at as automatic qualifiers.

SI Swimsuit issue

RC: It was very nice of the magazine to offer me an 800-number, so that I could skip the upcoming swimsuit issue, and extend my subscription instead.

But it wasn't clear that if I took them up on the offer whether that would put my consecutive issues read streak in jeopardy.

My real concern is that models Shannan Click, Kenza Fourati, Izabel Goulart, Alyssa Miller and Kate Upton are appearing for the first time and I'm conflicted on whose rookie card I should be investing in.

Actually, with my daughter the same age as the models, I've stopped thinking about being on the beach with them and just how nice it would be to be on the beach period.
TW: I can't believe there are still people out there who get worked up about the SI Swimsuit Issue being a tool of sexism.

How about directing some of that same scrutiny at women's magazines?

The latest cover of Cosmopolitan includes a headline on "The Sex Quiz" and another that shouts "Get Naked!" And try to find any women's mag that doesn't send a constant message about getting thinner or curvier.

Tiger Woods
TW: After all the grief Tiger has taken, can't we give him a pass on this one? Yes, he broke ranks with the anti-saliva regulations of the gentlemanly game of golf regulations. But if baseball penalized players for spitting the game would be out of business in 24 hours. And is anyone going to pretend that John Daly has never let one fly on the golf course?

RC: Golfers take to their sick bed when a course misses its latest manicure. So I'm not sure a lot of them want to be using Tiger's putting line when he's done.

Michael Vick
TW: I think Oprah is losing her edge. Vick has been out of prison for nearly two years, and now she books him on the show? I doubt Vick's appearance will generate anything new. Unless, of course, he shows up in a chinchilla coat.

RC: For a woman whose book club included "Freedom," "Fall on Your Knees" "The Sound and the Fury" and "The Measure of a Man" I would say Oprah's couch is the perfect place for Vick.

Although the QB may find scrambling away from her scrutiny more difficult than expected.

Jerry Richardson
RC: The Panthers owner decided it would be a good idea to disparage the intelligence of Drew Brees and Peyton Manning during contract negotiations.

I don't know beans about contracts, but I know that Brees and Manning play a game at a level that the former RB-flanker Richardson is not familiar with.

Note to owners: You have the money and you have the leverage but nobody is paying to watch you sit in your luxury box.

If I'm the two QBs, I'm telling him to talk to the hand. That would be the hand that has hoisted the Super Bowl trophy.

Maybe it should be the owners who are required to take the Wonderlic Test.

TW: I don't have any problem with Richardson asking players tough questions.

I also don't have a problem with asking Richardson how he went from a playoff team in 2008 to having a 2-14 club that mailed it in last season.

Albert Pujols
RC: Hey, he's not a machine, he's just Albert.

If anyone deserves 10 years and $300 million its the Cards' slugger. But a 41-year-old machine can take new parts. A 41-year-old slugger can't. (Credit: USA Today)